Tuesday, September 13, 2005

N5RTF now at work in New Orleans.

We stayed with Terry's parents for 2 weeks. On Sunday, Terry went to Texas with the dog and tortoises, and I returned to work at Ochsner Clinic Foundation (1 of only 3 functioning hospitals in southeast Louisiana). I sleep in my office, and the hospital is patrolled by National Guardsmen with M16's. Food is regular, but interesting.
Work so far has consisted of supervising a small inpatient psychiatric unit and refilling meds and talking with patients over the phone. I cover the ER for psych every other night. Tomorrow we try to open a small outpatient clinic.
I did get to check the house -- much tree damage, and many roof slates are missing. A tree is leaning on the back of the house (see photos). Electricity is off, but water and sewerage are still in operation. My antenna pole and inverted vee are still up also!
An announcement was made that we may be allowed to return to undamaged areas of the city on Monday. We may spend a few days in a friend's condo in the French Quarter if power is not restored to the house. With a job and places to live, Terry and I are much better off than many of our friends and neighbors. We are also very grateful for the concern of MARCO members and MediShare's contributions to the relief effort.
Chip and Terry.

No comments: