Thursday, September 29, 2005

K4RLC's First-Hand Account of Hurricane Disaster Relief

-Got back last nite after 17 days deployed with American Red Cross Disaster Mental
Health Team.

-My time was spent all along the Mississippi coast, from east Biloxi to the wild
west of Pearlington, on the Louisiana border, which was really "ground zero" for
Katrina. Worked in a Neighborhood Care Team, visiting with people right in the worst
of the disaster, who were trying to rebuild their lives, among the rubble. We provided
"psychological first aide" while giving out cold Gatorade, cleaning supplies,
MREs, baby food, Huggies, Cliff bars, and anything else I had packed in the F-350
van at the warehouse. Giving some people a cold Gatorade, while they were without
electricity or potable water, you'd think we gave them a millon dollars.

-It was an incredible and a humbling experience.

-I was so impressed by the resilience of the human spirit of those who lost their
homes, cars, jobs, possessions, but who will just start again to rebuild their lives.
This experience has changed my understanding of PTSD.

-One of the best experiences was the two days I spent in a Buddhist temple in the
Little Saigon section of East Biloxi, MS. It had been flooded about 8 to 10 feet.
40 Vietnamese Buddhists were in the back room, and had to pull down the ceiling
tiles to crawl in the attic to survive. I think of all the folks I saw (poor or
rich, whatever race or ethnicity) the Buddhists had the best coping skills for such
a tragedy.

-I also got to visit, interview and photograph hams in the disaster areas (behind
regular Army and National Guard checkpoints). I'm trying to write something for
QST on this. The most incredible one was ED, W4AGA, who set up a full HF and VHF
station in "Yankee Stadium" Compassion Central in Biloxi. ED only has
one leg!

-For those suited to this type of work, I would recommend it. However, it is not
for everyone, as we had a large and unfortunate bail out rate. There are many skills
not related to mental health needed, but the most needed is a good sense of humor
(psychologically) and military or backpacking experience (to stand harsh physical
environment).

-Alanna has made me take lots of showers, although I still don't feel clean yet.
Need to hit the sauna at the Y for a few days. And eat lots of bran (MREs are carb-o-licious).

-Thanks to all for your kinds thoughts, prayers and help with the family while I
was gone. Need to go to my beach house to check for roof damage from Ophelia.
Neighbor walked the lot and said all was ok, but he doesn't have a key (yet). Any
excuse to go to the beach is a good one.

-Thanks again.

Bob Conder K4RLC
Raleigh, NC

No comments: